Day 19: CAN I BE CERTAIN OF ETERNAL SALVATION?

I occasionally ask church members if they know they are eternally saved, that is, if they know they are going to heaven when they die. Edith, a woman from my former congregation in Western New York, responded to me this way whenever I asked that question: “I hope so,” She would say this with a rather timid, unsure voice.

Edith was thinking like many people think – that her salvation, her eternal destination, was partially or totally dependent upon her. But here is the truth about salvation, which I explained to Edith and to countless others. Many people believe that their salvation depends upon their own good works – their own kindly actions, their own good efforts. The problem with this thinking is that along with any good works we may do, we also do a lot of bad works, and we would never know if we’ve done enough good works to satisfy God. Some people feel that it is their religious actions that save them. If they go to church enough, if they pray enough, if they read the Bible enough, they might be saved. Again, the problem is whether we’ve done enough to open the doors of heaven to us. Still other people believe their salvation depends upon their faith. If they can muster up enough faith, enough love, enough trust towards God, maybe they can be saved.

All of these perspectives have their source problem in believing that their salvation is dependent upon them – what they do, what they think, what they believe. The good news is that our salvation is not dependent upon us, but is dependent on the Savior, Jesus. It is not we who save ourselves, but Jesus the Savior, who saves us. Jesus has already died to forgive me of my sins, so I can know for certain that I am forgiven. Jesus has already risen from the dead, conquering death, so that I can know for certain that He has opened heaven to me and all believers. It is not my good efforts, or even my faith that saves me. But it is the Savior that saves me. My faith does not save me, but my faith receives the salvation won by Christ for me. Faith is the hand that accepts the gift of forgiveness and salvation.

God wants us to be assured of this most important gift of salvation, not as a matter of pride, but for our reassurance and to bring us comfort. God does not want us to be in doubt of our eternal destination. Look at these passages below and the underlined words:

“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may
 know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:13)

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)

“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.” (Mark 16:16a)

[Jesus said] “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” (John 11:25-26)

In the passages above God does not say maybe you will have eternal life, perhaps you will have eternal life, it is possible for you to have eternal life, you could have eternal life. No, God gives words of certainty. He wants us to be absolutely certain of His salvation. He wants us to be absolutely certain of our eternal destination.

Sometime you will close your eyes for the last time. That could happen in seven minutes, or seven days, or seven months, or seven years, or seven decades. We are not at all certain about the time we will die. But God wants us to be absolutely certain about what will happen when we die. God wants us to know that we will have eternal life. He gave His son unto death so that we can have the assurance of forgiveness and eternal salvation. He means for this assurance to bring us peace and to comfort us.

How can we be certain about our salvation?
Don’t look at yourself, don’t look to your good works, don’t look to your spiritual experiences, don’t look at your church membership certificate. Look only to Jesus on the cross. Look only to Jesus who has risen from the dead. He has already died and risen for you. He has already saved you. Faith receives His gift of salvation.

All the religions of the world except Christianity can be summed up with one word: DO. This is what you must DO to please God, this is what you must DO to be saved. DO these acts, DO these deeds. If you DO them well enough, you might be saved. What uncertainty there is in all those religions with their command to DO.

Christianity may also be described in one word. That word is not do, but DONE. Our forgiveness is DONE, accomplished by Jesus. Our salvation is DONE, accomplished by Jesus. Christ, our Savior, provides us with absolute certainty of our salvation. He has DONE what is required for us to be saved. Through trusting Him, we can rest in His sure promises.

I spoke to Edith a few months before she died.  She was on Hospice, knowing that her time of death was coming close. Over the telephone I asked her: “Edith, do you know if you are going to heaven?” She responded with a confidence in her voice, “Yes, I know when I die I know I am going to heaven.” I said, “Edith, how do you know this?” She responded, “I know it because of my Savior, Jesus.” Edith no longer looked to her good works or her own efforts, but she placed her trust totally in her Savior. Just before Christmas, 2010, Edith’s Savior brought her home. I hope that you too will have that same confidence that Edith had, placing your trust totally in the Savior, Jesus.


Prayer:
I know that someday I will die. I do want to live forever in your presence. I confess that my works, my own efforts, are not good enough to earn my salvation. Give me the faith to rest and trust in the Savior, Jesus, who died and rose for my salvation. Give me the peace that comes with knowing my eternal destination is secure because of my Savior. I pray in His name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment